Day of the Dead Tattoos. The Day of the Dead or Dia de los Muertos is a Mexican celebration that happens every year from October 31 – November 2. This celebration is somewhat similar to All Souls Day and Halloween. People in Mexico and some cultures all over the world celebrate the day by gathering family members and remembering their loved ones who have died. This special day is usually celebrated using their famous figures such as the sugar skulls and Calaveras (skeleton) makeup.
This post is dedicated to this coming special event which is a week from now. We have collected 166 special Day of the Dead Tattoos to inspire you and give you great ideas on your next tattoo. I also have included the name of some artist who did the tattoo for your convenience.
Here we go, folks.
166 Best Day of the Dead Tattoos:
1. Led Coult
I love the combination of the sketched effect face, the bright red roses and eye makeup of this tattoo.
2. Black and Gray day of the dead tattoo
I love the expression of the face and the beautiful hands.
3. Half sleeve day of the dead tattoo
4. Sexy Calavera tattoo
5. Couple skeleton tattoos
I think this is a great idea for couple tattoo! This would look even better colored in a traditional way.
6. Jason Frieling tattoo design
7. Delicious sugar skulls
8. Black and gray sugar skull tattoo
9. Magnificent full back piece day of the dead tattoos
I adore every detail of these tattoos.
10. Traditional day of the dead tattoo
Traditional tattoos are rich and thick in colors.
11. Clock and day f the dead tattoo
This tattoo was done by Remigijus Cizauskas of Remis Tattoo.
12. The crack effect
13. Pretty day of the dead tattoo
A pretty face, and a skeleton makeup is all you need for an inspiration.
14. Flowered sugar skull
This alluring thigh tattoo is done by the tattoo artist Led Coult.
15. Full sleeve day of the dead tattoos
Aren’t you jealous of his black and gray full sleeve day of the dead tattoos? I am!
16. Day of the dead tattoo
17. Veiled and bloody La Catrina
Traditional style for La Catrina tattoos is always pleasing to the eyes because of its rich color.
18. La Catrina day of the dead tattoo
19. Tattoo by Mark Stewart of Four Aces Tattoo
20. Finger biting day of the dead tattoo
Some people prefer their La Calavera Catrina sexy looking.
21. Owl and sugar skull tattooo in black and gray
I think the incorporated skull and owl tattoos are amazing.
22. Phatt German design tattoo
You can take your favorite celebrity face and turn it into the day of the dead tattoo like this one.
23. Zombie day of the dead tattoo
You may have noticed that most La Calavera Catrina tattoos here are beautiful and even seductive. Here’s something different, a scary looking zombie! Can you rock it?
24. Beautiful day of the dead back piece
25. Jun Cha day of the dead tattoo
26. Also Jun Cha day of the dead tattoo
I like this one better than the previous one.
27. Boris of Boris Tattoo
Boris is from Zalaegerszeg, Hungary and has been tattooing since 1992.
28. Traditional day of the dead tattoo design
What is not to love about this too? I think the artist, Nikko Hurtado did an excellent job on this tattoo.
29. Alex de Pase tattoo
The mix of red, black and white colors in this tattoo, brings out the best day of the dead theme.
30. Sugar skull and skeleton
This is a gorgeous skeleton tattoo, but I believe this is still unfinished. Well, at least I hope it’s still not finished, it would look even more great with rich colors on it.
31. Sugar skull and Russian doll tattoo
Such a creative design combining a sugar skull and a Russian doll. Who would’ve thought it would look so cool?
32. Half sleeve Day of the Dead La Calavera Catrina tattoo
34. 2 awe-inspiring sugar skull tattoos
Nothing best represents Day of the Dead than sugar skulls! They are rich in color and fun.
35. Frida Kahlo day of the dead tattoos
I am personally a big fan of Frida Kahlo. She is a Mexican artist and her paintings are my favorites.
36. Remigijus Cizauskas tattoo
here’s the 2nd Day of the Dead by Remis.
37. Skeleton woman and creepy doll
This lovely tattoo is a work by Moni Marino.
38. Skeleton and sumbrero
One can tell a day of the dead inspired tattoo when you see a skeleton and a big hat called sumbrero. A work by Amanda Cormeny
39. Balázs Révai
Every tattoo is unique despite the common theme.
40. Doll face day of the dead tattoo by Tatuajes Demon
41. Joey Hamilton Day of the Dead tattoo
This beautiful tattoo is a half sleeve size.
42. Flowers and sugar skull tattoo
43. Black and gray sugar skull tattoo
Although colorful are very much eye catching, the black and gray art is the same as long as the artist did a great job.
44. Sugar skull and corset tattoo
I think I already have an idea for this halloween’s costume. A job well done by David Corden. I love the pastel colors!
45. Eye candy sugar skull
46. Very Mexican tattoo
If you want a recap what Mexico is about, I guess this tattoo says it all!
47. Nikko Hurtado sugar skull makeup tattoo
Nikko Hurtado is excellent doing portrait and realistic tattoos.
48. Based on real life day of the dead tattoo
This is what I was talking about, you can take a photos of your girlfriend or yourself, bring it to your tattoo artist, he will stencil it and turn it to a sugar skull or day of the dead tattoo. You must get a really good artist and do a research about his/her works so you will be assured that your tattoo will be spanking awesome!
49. Darth Vader sugar skull tattoo
For the Star Wars fan out there.
50. Sugar skulls and corseted women day of the dead tattoos
All pin ups by David Corden.
51. Nikko Hurtado
Here’s another of Nikko Hurtado’s superb sugar skull tattoo
52. Marilyn Monroe sugar skull tattoo
53. Sugar skull tattoos by Ron Antonick
54. Black and gray leg tattoo
55. Frida Kahlo portrait with sugar skull makeup
I love it!
56. Angelina Jolie sugar skull tattoo
Another celebrity tattoo with sugar skullmake up.
58. Female and male sugar skull tattoos
I like all the details on this tattoo, the anchor and horse shoe are also symbolic.
59. Black and gray day of the dead tattoo
60. Scary but cool
I just find this tattoo both scary and cool at the same time compared to the rest of my posts here.
61. Sugar skull, candle, flowers and butterflies
62. Traditional sugar skull tattoo
Look at all the vibrant colors of this tattoo. It’s an eye candy.
63. Butterflies and sugar skull tattoo
64. Tattoo on a tattoo
Lovely art. I love that this tattoo of a woman with a sugar skull has a cigarette and a tattoo.
65. Day of the Dead thigh tattoo
I like the facial expression of this tattoo.
66. Classic inspired day of the dead tattoo
In some cultures and places, the skull representation is grim. In Mexico and in most Latino cultures, it depicts a different view. The day of the dead tattoos is nothing grim, it symbolizes your true self, as a mere mortal, a soul in a temporary body. The sugar skull and the calavera woman are very popular in the paintings, tattoos, murals and even theatrical plays.
For theDia de los Muertostattoos, it has also become quite popular all over the world because of its beautiful and interesting design. I have a friend who used his wife’s portrait as a half woman half calavera even if she is still around. It was nothing very serious, he just want to have a unique portrait tattoo of her on his skin. That idea might work for you as well.
Limited Time Offer (click photo)